Earl Grey Coconut Oatmeal is warm, comforting and satisfying with just a hint of earl grey tea.
There are oatmeal purists and then there’s folks like me.
I require a little “life” in my oatmeal. Honey and peanut butter have proven delicious time and time again, but they bring with them tons of sugar. Growing up, a bowl of oatmeal with a decent “pat” of butter was not out of the ordinary. Then there’s packaged oatmeal which comes in so many flavors… a quick zap in the microwave doesn’t leave much in the form of nutrients.
I had a realization… tea! My pantry is loaded with tea… green tea, chamomile tea, peppermint tea, rooibos tea, oolong tea, chai tea, pur-ehr tea and earl grey tea, to name a few.
Since oatmeal is pretty bland, anything that is added will take on those flavors.
I reached for earl grey tea, (because it’s a favorite,) and began steeping it for 5 minutes in the simmered coconut milk. Then, I removed the tea and added my old-fashioned oats, Stevia, and coconut extract. Once the oatmeal had thickened to my likeness, I spooned it into a bowl and added chia seeds, shredded unsweetened coconut, blueberries and banana slices. The earl grey added such an amazing nuance to this humble bowl of oatmeal.
Breakfast is served. Now think of all of the wonderful combinations you can make!
- 1 cup coconut milk (or almond milk)
- 1-1/2 tsp loose leaf Earl Grey tea
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 10 drops Stevia vanilla creme flavor (or plain)
- ½ tsp coconut extract
- 2 tsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ tsp chia seeds
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ⅓ banana sliced
- ½ tsp Sweet & Salty Surrender
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk on low-medium heat until shimmering.
- Then, turn off heat.
- Next add tea to milk and steep for 5 min. (Always steep tea per instructions)
- Remove tea.
- Add oats, coconut extract and Stevia and stir.
- Turn heat back on to low and stir to allow oatmeal to thicken slightly.
- Finally, pour into a bowl and add shredded coconut, chia seeds, fruit and Sweet & Salty Surrender.
Pick up a bag of Sweet & Salty Surrender
We love to see what you’re making with our spice blends! Tag @sweetisthespice #sweetisthespice for a chance to be featured!