This Shrimp Risotto has all of the feels!
Not only does this shrimp risotto taste decadent and rich, but it imparts a comforting quality that warms the soul. I’ve made this recipe several times now because honestly, it never disappoints. Try using a homemade chicken stock such as our chicken stock recipe, or a low-sodium option from the grocery store works just fine too.
Arborio rice is a starchy grain-like rice found in most grocery stores. The Italian word “risotto” describes the method of adding stock in batches with constant stirring. Therefore, the technique creates a porridge-like consistency, while the individual grains are slightly firm with a discernable texture.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound shrimp deveined and tails removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1-1/2 cups arborio rice
- 2 tbsp Chicago Joe
- ½ cup dry white wine (Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc work well)
- 12 oz. organic baby spinach
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano cheese grated
- Fresh basil and/or flat-leaf parsley
- In a medium sauce pan, bring stock to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once simmering, add shrimp, turn off heat, cover and let stand for 3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque.
- Next, transfer shrimp to a small bowl with a slotted spoon. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Cover stock with saucepan lid to keep warm and set aside.
- In a large cast-iron or large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat until lightly shimmering.
- Add onions and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Next add Chicago Joe and stir to incorporate.
- Pour in arborio rice and stir for about 2 minutes or rice becomes somewhat translucent.
- Add wine and stir for about 2 minutes or until wine has been absorbed.
- Then add ¾ cup stock and stir often for about 2-4 minutes or until most stock is absorbed.
- Continue adding ¾ cup stock at a time, stirring often until all stock has been added and absorbed.
- Add in spinach in several batches and stir, allowing it to wilt before each addition.
- Mix in shrimp and cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Spoon risotto into bowls or onto plates.
- Add freshly torn basil and/or parsley on top before serving. ENJOY!